Church History

Year Peace Lutheran Church History......
1865 Friedens (Peace) Lutheran Church was founded by Rev. Henry Braun.
1891 Pastor Braun laid the first cornerstone for Friedens (Peace) Lutheran Church on Franklin St. and 4th Avenue
1893 Pastor Frederick Koehler was ordained, becoming the first resident pastor of Friedens congregation (1893-1899)
1896 The congregation bought a house on the corner of Glen St and 4th Ave South for a parsonage
1898 The Ladies Aid was organized, the earliest group within the congregation.
1899 Pastor G. E. Fritzke was installed in February (1899-1920).  The Young Ladies Society was organized.  The badly needed school was built and necessary improvements were made to the parsonage.
1902 As a result of continued growth, the congregation decided to add a cross section to the church building.
1920 Friedens congregation called Pastor Alfred Bauer of Cedar Mills to serve as a vacancy pastor, which he did until January 1921.
1921 Pastor W. J. Schulze assumed pastoral duties (1921 - 1945).
1925 The Dorcas Club was organized.
1926 The ground breaking for the new church building was on July 27.
1927 The new church building was dedicated on October 23.  The architect was August Gauguer of St. Paul, and the twelve painted glass windows show events in the life of Christ.  German services and classes were discontinued and all religious instruction has been conducted in English since that time.
1928 A new 3-manual electrified pipe organ was installed in the new church.
1938 Young People's League was started, replacing the Young Ladies Society which disbanded that year.
1941 As a special project for the 50th anniversary of the congregation, the interior of the church was decorated with stenciling by artist, C.A. Christiansen of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
1945 Pastor Arthur Koehler was installed (1945 - 1952).
1950 Peace congregation voted to join the Missouri Synod after 59 years of membership in the Wisconsin Synod.
1952 Pastor Martin Kirsch was installed.
1953 Forty-five families were granted a peaceful dismissal in order to organize Grace Lutheran congregation.
1954 The Christian Education Building was dedicated on April 4th.
1955 Deaconess Julie Hennig was installed on February 13th and served one year.
1956 Deaconess Gloria Jungemann was installed and served until 1958.  Pastor Donald Buelow was installed as Assistant Pastor on July 8.
1957 Twenty families were granted peaceful dismissal in order to establish daughter congregation, Our Savior's Lutheran Church.
1959 Pastor Donald Buelow was installed as Senior Pastor and his father, the Rev. Julius Buelow, as Assistant Pastor.  Mr. Jesse Bye was called to serve as Director of Education and Music, and later retained as Senior Organist.
1963 Mr. Gerald Rabe was called as Director of Education and continued to serve until November of 1965.
1964 Pastor Richard H. Raedeke was installed as Senior Pastor.
1965 Seminarian Henry Berg was commissioned as Vicar on September 1.  Pastor Julius Buelow retired from the full time ministry on September 1, but continued to serve the congregation as Visitation Pastor until his death on March 21, 1966.  The Rev. Walter D. Marth was installed as Assistant Pastor on August 29, and later was named Associate Pastor.
1966 The Rev. Otto Kuehl was engaged by the congregation as Visitation Pastor.  On September 18, the congregation observed it's 75th anniversary.
1973 Miss Cynthia Schlegelmilch was installed as Director of Christian Education.  On January 14th, the Ladies Aid celebrated it's 75th anniversary.
1974 The Glen Street parsonage was moved to the corner lot in November.  Rev. James Marshall was installed on June 30.
1975 Dorcas Club celebrated its 50th anniversary on January 12.  Paul Berg became our new Minister of Education on March 15th.
1976 A new sound system was installed in the church proper, a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Ed Hoerner.
1977 Rev. Otto Kuehl celebrated his 50th year in the ministry in August and retired as Visitation Pastor at that time.  Rev. Herman Buenting, Litchfield, became our new Visitation Pastor on December 1st.
1978 Rev. James Lauer was installed as Executive Pastor on July 2.  Norbert Malenke was installed as Minister of Music on September 17. Rev. Martin W. Lieske joined the staff as consulting pastor.
1979 In January, approval was given to the trustees to carpet the church and remodel the basement, as well as the education hallways.  The basement was air conditioned and a new ventilation system installed in the education building.
1980 The voters accepted the challenge to participate in the $40 million Synod mission project during the first half of 1981.
1981 The Franklin Street parsonage was sold for $4,200.  The choir loft was remodeled.  On August 6, 1981, bids were opened for the construction of the Peace Center, offices, ramp ways, and library.
1982 Pastor Gary Galchutt was installed as Associate Pastor on June 6th in the service immediately before the dedication of the new building.  The new Lutheran Worship hymnal was introduced. Melva Plath was hired as part time secretary and later became full time.
1983 James Streufert was hired as Director of Music.  A computer was purchased for the office. Little Lambs Christian Preschool was organized with Debbie Koglin as the teacher.
1984 A commitment was initiated to give 10% of the unified budget to missions.
1985 Pastor Marth accepted the call to serve again at Peace.  Paul Berg accepted a call to serve as "Dean of the Christian Learning Center in New Hope" in July.  The Williams Sound Corp. Hearing System was installed for the hard-of-hearing.  Pastor R.W. Koepp began work as Visitation Pastor.
1986 Pastor David Anderson accepted the call to Peace and started here October 1st.  Marlys Haag was hired full time as Director of Youth.  The church exterior was tuck pointed.  A trained group was established to tape services for cable TV.
1987 Pamela Doebert was hired to join the Peace staff as Director of Music. The church was insulated, the roof reshingled and a new sound system was installed.
1988 The Peace Church library was completely redone by Ruth Hagen and Verna Henke.
1989 Paul Berg accepted our call to return as Minister of Education.  The Peace Center kitchen was completely furnished and air conditioning was installed in the Peace Center.
1990 Paul Otte accepted the call to be Minister of Music.  A large replica of the first Friedens Church was built by Gary Wurdell and placed in the church to begin the Centennial activities.  A security system was installed.
1991 Centennial celebration.  The celebration continued throughout the year, with special reunion for those who were confirmed and/or married at Peace.  Sunday School enrollment is the highest it has been in over 20 years.  The church pews were refinished by Chet Maki, new hymnal racks were made, and the light fixtures in the church were rewired.  The property at 345 Glen Street was purchased for $35,000 for the purpose of future development.
1992 Worship services were begun on Saturday evenings.  Dr. Huebert donated a 100' x 325' parcel to the cemetery land.
1993 A special voters' meeting approved the planning and implementation of Prince of Peace Senior Living and the establishment of a nonprofit corporation.  An Organ Fund was established and many fund raisers were held.
1994 Construction of Prince of Peace began and Paul Berg was named facility manager.  It was decided to purchase a 3-manual tracker action organ from J. W. Walker & Sons, Organbuilders, of London, England for a total cost of $379,204.  Greg Ewing was hired as our new Youth Director in December.  Parish Services was begun with Marlys Palmer as director.
1995 The first residents moved into Prince of Peace on April 1st.  Pastor Gerhard H. Bode accepted the call to Peace and was installed June 11th.  Pastor Marth retired July 2nd after serving 1965-1977 and from 1985-1995 at Peace.  It was decided at a voters' meeting to call a seminary graduate from St. Louis seminary.  Jonathan C. Rathjen was ordained and installed at Peace on August 27th.  The Parish Nurse program was established, headed by Shirley Wurdell.
1996 A pictorial directory containing photographs of over 600 families was published.  A lot at the corner of Franklin and 3rd Avenue SW was purchased.
1997 The new J. W. Walker pipe organ was installed with dedication on March 16th.
1998 Pastor Walter D. Marth returned to Peace as Visitation Pastor. On April 2nd the Ladies Aid at Peace celebrated its 100th year of service to the Lord.  The group decided that this would be the final year as an organization.  The bell tower was repaired and refurbished.
1999 Vision Peace 2000 and Beyond was approved by the congregation.  Committees in the areas of Facilities, Focus Ministries, Parish Structure, and Finance were established.  Greg Ewing left the staff for a position at Hutchinson High School.    Pastor Layton Lemke joined the staff as Visitation Pastor.
2000 Ted Stroming joined the staff as Minister of Youth and Family.  Sandra Hall joined the staff as Director of Children's Education. Jerry Haag joined the staff as Property Manager.  The parish purchased a home on Franklin Street as part of the long range plan for mission and ministry development. The "Word of Life" property at 346 Franklin was purchased with the lot being cleared for a new parking lot.
2001 In the spring of the year, our stained glass windows were refurbished, cleaned, and protected with new exterior glass.  Pastor Eric Goodwin accepted the call to Peace to serve as Associate Pastor.  Purchased the property at 336 Franklin with the house being moved to the NE corner of Franklin and 5th.  Tuck pointing of the church began in spring of 2001.
2003 Peace acquired the former Hantge Funeral Chapel on 400 Glen Street and changed the name to Peace Place Activity and Outreach Center.  Little Lambs Christian Preschool celebrated their 20th year of ministry to children and families.  The Guardian Angel Program was established as part of the confirmation program.
2004 A vision statement was adopted, "Touching lives of others with the love and saving knowledge of Jesus."
2005 Volunteers from the congregation cooked and served at the Country Diner during the county fair as an opportunity to serve the community and support missions.  Michael Fuchs was hired to do a feasibility study regarding the proposed remodeling & construction program.
2006 Alan Klass, a consultant for "Mission Growth Ministry" was hired to review and make recommendations regarding the ministry structure and constitution.  The Worship Committee produced a book of Advent Devotions written by members of the congregation.
2007 The new constitution was presented to the congregation for approval.  Elections were held for the new "Mission and Ministry Council" which was established under the new constitution.
2008 A capital campaign "Let Us Arise and Build" was launched for the purpose of raising funds for the projected remodeling and building needs.  The congregation purchased the 326 Franklin Street property.  With the purchase of this property the congregation accomplished its plan to acquire the six lots on the 300 block of SW Franklin for parking and future development.  The congregation approved a remodeling/building project not to exceed $4.1 million with construction to begin in June.  Pastor Goodwin accepted a call to St. Paul Lutheran in Hilton, NY.  Little Lambs Christian preschool was recognized for 25 years of ministry to the community and congregation. Sunday Night Live, an alternative worship, was added providing the 5th opportunity to worship during the weekend.
2009 Work continued on the remodeling/building project so that it opened in time for fall Sunday School.  A two day celebration and dedication of the new building was held on September 19 & 20.  Vicar Ben Vogel joined the church staff in August and Sandy Kephart accepted the position of Director of Children's Ministry.
2010 Pastor John Pasche accepted the call to serve as Associate Pastor focused on outreach and new member ministry. Vicar Ben Vogel returned to the seminary for his last year.
2011 Chad Kirchoff was installed as a deacon. Construction was completed on the Little Lambs Childhood Center with dedication September 10 and 11. Sandy Kephart accepted the position to serve as Director of Children's Ministries and Little Lambs Christian Center. A new website and facebook page were launched in the fall.